WE Cheshire East
Get involved to make Equality Better for Everyone:
- Monthly branch meet-ups are usually on the 2nd Monday of each month, either in-person or virtual. Our sessions are very informal and are used to cover hot topics you are interested in and to plan our campaigns.
- Reproductive rights campaign Saturday 2nd December 2023 - protest local MP Fiona Bruce’s links to the anti-abortion organisation the Alliance Defending Freedom and for the protection of our reproductive rights. Click here to find out more about this campaign and to join the protest.
- Early years childcare campaign Spring 2024 – with childcare in the UK the most expensive in the world and early years providers going out of business every week, it’s clear that our system is broken. Childcare costs impact families across the country, and the rising costs are disproportionately impacting women who are carers and who work in the early years sector.
Join our mailing list below to receive notifications about our upcoming meet-ups, events and campaigns.
The Cheshire East Women’s Equality Party branch successfully returned not 1, but 2 councillors to Congleton Town Council in 2023. Kay Wesley was the first elected councillor for WEP in 2021 and she was successfully re-elected and appointed as Deputy Mayor of Congleton in 2023. Susan Mead was also elected to join Kay at Congleton Town Council in 2023. We are truly creating the ‘Feminist Republic of Congleton’!
You can read more about Kay and Susan and their work as councillors here.
Our branch and the difference WE can make:
- 2 elected councillors means WE can influence the priorities in Congleton and can use these successes as a template to support other councils to make change in Cheshire East. For example, Congleton Town Council has become White Ribbon accredited, with a pledge to end violence against women and girls through education and prevention. WE want to make Cheshire East a White Ribbon county, and WE need your support!
- WE are taking action and supporting multiple causes, including protesting to protect reproductive rights, supporting Pride events, hosting a Police and Crime Commissioner Q&A session during the Cheshire PCC election campaign and celebrating International Women’s Day.
- WE are a welcoming and supportive team, with many members able to dip in and out of meetings and campaigns as well as a core team who welcome all hands to contribute with ideas, experience and practical action to suit your preference.
Find us and interact with us on YouTube, Twitter (X), Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
#BuildBackEqual #EnoughIsEnough #MoreToDo
At the Women's Equality Party, we rely on your support to keep campaigning on vital issues such as: childcare, social and climate justice, male violence and gender equality.
Thank you for supporting equality!
WE Cheshire East branch team