Welcome to the Hackney branch of the Women's Equality Party.
About Women's Equality Party Hackney
We’re one of the original WE branches, and still a strong force in the party. Whether you’re a seasoned campaigner, new to politics or looking for a way to help bring equality to Hackney, we'd love you to join us! Sign up is further down the page.
How to get involved
- Come and join us at our branch meetings. These happen the first Tuesday every month and everyone is welcome. Sign up below to join our mailing list and we'll let you know the date of the next meeting. We always welcome new faces and no experience is necessary!
- Volunteer with us – WE wouldn't be able to do this without you. Tick "I have a skill which I would be willing to share" below, or drop us a line on email@example.com.
- Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to keep up to date with everything that's happening - we will also keep in touch via a regular email newsletter.
What's happening in Hackney?
Now: 16 Days of Action - 25th Nov to 10th Dec
WE are now in the midst of 16 days of action globally to end violence against ALL women and girls. Across the globe 1 in 3 women are affected by gender-based violence: the statistics are no better in the UK. Over 2 million women are affected by domestic violence, 2 women a week are killed and only 15% of serious sexual violence is reported to the police. These are not just statistics they are real women: our friends, sisters, mothers, cousins and ourselves. Help us amplify the 16 days of action to make sure that lasting change happens by using the hashtag #HearMeToo and sharing our posts on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
- January Pub Quiz: 16th January, The Prince, Stoke Newington - bring your friends, bring your feminist knowledge and help us start the year off with our first 2019 fundraiser! RSVP HERE
- Valentine's Brunch: 16 February - more info coming soon! RSVP HERE
What's been happening in Hackney?
- December --> Feminist Open Mic! We had a great time at our Feminist Open Mic Christmas Party featuring spoken word and rounds of "I'm a feminist but...". For those who couldn't come, we hope to see you at our next event!
- November --> Canvassing for Enfield by-election. We had a great time canvassing in Enfield on Saturday 10th November and look forward to more sessions to support Tulip.
- October --> Local elections: Hackney had its first ever chance to vote for a Women's Equality Party candidate in the recent local elections. We are proud that Harini Iyengar stood for Councillor in the Dalston Ward and were busy canvassing. It was great talking to locals, spreading the word about the Women's Equality Party and gaining 83 votes!