Whilst a large part of the country has entered a period of local election fever, it will be 2023 before it is our turn in Cheshire East.
Meet our fabulous 2022 WE candidates from across the country!
It is never too early however to start preparations so we are already getting ready for next year by checking the accuracy of our member and volunteer database, in which you may have previously expressed an interest in being a branch volunteer.Read more
On Tuesday 8th March International Women's Day we are at the unveiling of the bronze statue of Elizabeth Wolstenholme Elmy in Congleton town centre. Kay has been supporting Elizabeth's Group as a Trustee - it’s been quite the battle to finally get here so please come along and give everyone involved a cheer!
Watch remarks by sculptor Hazel Reeves and Cllr Kay Wesley on BBC Video of the Day
Read the article by Congleton Nub News:
"Elizabeth Wolstenholme Elmy was a nationally-recognised campaigner for women’s rights who lived in Congleton for 54 years."
Thank you very much for attending and participating in our Make Votes Matter event to hear about the cross-party campaign for Proportional Representation.
It was wonderful to see the enthusiasm and we hope you found the discussion as useful as we did! It certainly looks like we generated sufficient interest for an MVM Cheshire group.Read more
Ending Sexism in Schools
Well WE had a great if feisty start to the New Year with our January branch meeting talking about the gender balance of English teaching in schools.Read more
We would love your feedback - tell us what you like, what you don't and what you want to see from WE Cheshire East branch.
- Which policy areas matter to you?
- How could we make a difference in your community - can you help us do it?
- What type of branch events would you like? Tell us your ideas.
- How would you like to participate? What would help you to participate?
- Anything else?
WE Cheshire East branch team
#BuildBackEqual #EnoughIsEnough #MoreToDoSend feedback
WE Cheshire East
Get involved to make Equality Better for Everyone:
- Monthly branch meet-ups are usually on the 2nd Monday of each month, either in-person or virtual. Our sessions are very informal and are used to cover hot topics you are interested in and to plan our campaigns.
- Crewe Central by-election 8th February 2024 - Women's Equality Party candidate Vicky Pulman is standing in the Crewe Central by-election for Cheshire East Council. Read more about Vicky's election campaign here.
- Early years childcare campaign 2024 – with childcare in the UK the most expensive in the world and early years providers going out of business every week, it’s clear that our system is broken. Childcare costs impact families across the country, and the rising costs are disproportionately impacting women who are carers and who work in the early years sector.
Join our mailing list below to receive notifications about our upcoming meet-ups, events and campaigns.
The Cheshire East Women’s Equality Party branch successfully returned not 1, but 2 councillors to Congleton Town Council in 2023. Kay Wesley was the first elected councillor for WEP in 2021 and she was successfully re-elected and appointed as Deputy Mayor of Congleton in 2023. Susan Mead was also elected to join Kay at Congleton Town Council in 2023. We are truly creating the ‘Feminist Republic of Congleton’!
You can read more about Kay and Susan and their work as councillors here.
Our branch and the difference WE can make:
- 2 elected councillors means WE can influence the priorities in Congleton and can use these successes as a template to support other councils to make change in Cheshire East. For example, Congleton Town Council has become White Ribbon accredited, with a pledge to end violence against women and girls through education and prevention. WE want to make Cheshire East a White Ribbon county, and WE need your support!
- WE are taking action and supporting multiple causes, including protesting to protect reproductive rights, supporting Pride events, hosting a Police and Crime Commissioner Q&A session during the Cheshire PCC election campaign and celebrating International Women’s Day.
- WE are a welcoming and supportive team, with many members able to dip in and out of meetings and campaigns as well as a core team who welcome all hands to contribute with ideas, experience and practical action to suit your preference.
Find us and interact with us on YouTube, Twitter (X), Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
#BuildBackEqual #EnoughIsEnough #MoreToDo
At the Women's Equality Party, we rely on your support to keep campaigning on vital issues such as: childcare, social and climate justice, male violence and gender equality.
Thank you for supporting equality!
WE Cheshire East branch team