Winter Activities - 22nd November 2023
Dear HWB residents
I hope this finds you staying well and warm as the nights draw in!
News in very brief
- We attended the Newlands exhibition of the latest revamped warehouse plans. I remain unconvinced that warehouses are worth the environmental degradation of the area and am planning to object to the eventual application again, but please do let me know if you feel differently. Also note that the public consultation on what they should be like if they do go ahead is open until 28th, so get yours in soon! I'll be doing the same, just in case :)
- I also went to Dame Maria Miller MP's Community Chat on the new hospital. There was a lot of lovely sounding info and it's clear the hospital staff have been doing great work, but I have concerns around the funding and design and spoke about that here.
- We've released our template letterto copy and send to Dame Maria Miller MP asking her to support the Climate and Ecology Bill. This is a quick but vital action to show the strength of feeling on green issues in Basingstoke! Please let us know if you send a letter and when you receive a reply.
- I held an Ask Me Anything session for residents to pop in and chat with me at the Holly Blue, and will be diarising another for the New Year.
- We're still reaching out to local communities as part of a project with CGHB surgeries to identify and overcome additional barriers to healthcare faced by women and minoritised communities. This will be a continual and ongoing project rather than a 'tick-and-done' effort, so if you have thoughts or know of any person or group that might wish to give feedback, please get in touch. You can see a short explanation of the project here.
- Our entire officer team attended WEP Conference in Sheffield, and our motion to take WE Basingstoke's School Sports Equality Campaign forward UK-wide was voted through unanimously!
Upcoming stuff we're doing
- For White Ribbon Day this Saturday we'll be raising awareness and handing out pledge cards at the top of town as part of our campaign to end violence against women and girls
- We're also organising a bespoke Dragonfly Training session on Becoming a Domestic Violence Champion on 29th November. If you're free that evening do join us! You'll learn to recognise the signs, dispel the myths and signpost survivors to appropriate services. The session is run by local service provider Paragon, starts at 6:30pm, is 3.5 hours long and completely free. Anyone can join in; do contact me with any questions.
- We're researching new campaigns for spring, and hopefully putting on some carols for local care residents!
- Plus - as ever - ongoing canvassing. If you have a preferred time to be visited for a chat, we can book one in, and save me knocking when you don't want to be disturbed!
As always, get in touch if there are issues to apprise us of. It's been a bit of a rocky time for me personally these last couple of months having lost a close family member and I'm planning to try and make the Christmas break a proper one, but we do keep an eye on the emails so please reach out if you have need. Stay safe and warm wishes...
WE Basingstoke Branch Leader