Today, the Women’s Equality Party opens its candidate applications for May 2016 elections
This morning, the Women’s Equality Party (WE) is calling for people to stand as candidates in the May 2016 elections. “WE want to find the best people to begin our fight for gender equality at the ballot box,” says a party spokesperson. “WE are looking to contest the London mayoral, London and Welsh Assemblies and Scottish Parliament elections.”
In order to ensure WE reach the best possible candidates, the party’s 65+ local branches will use their own networks to seek out a diverse and electable list, alongside an online process that is open to everyone.
“WE require a different approach to candidate selection that reflects the uniqueness of our model and the newness of our party,” adds the spokesperson. “As a non-partisan organisation we have the added advantage of being able to reach a wider pool of candidates from across the full political spectrum.”
WE are looking for people who share the party’s values and demonstrate them in their everyday lives, who thrive on variety, who relish bringing out the best in people and who are committed to standing up for the views of others.
Candidates must be great communicators, leaders, listeners and strategists, have great determination, and be able to act as role models. It will be a life-changing experience, but one WE will support you through from the very start of the process. If you’re ready to fight for putting gender equality at the heart of the political agenda, WE want to hear from you.
If you would like to stand, visit www.womensequality.org.uk/stand.
Notes to editors
The candidate selection process opened today, 7 December and will close during the first week of January.
WE candidates will push for change on the party’s six key policy areas:
1. #WE are pushing for equal representation in politics and business to ensure women’s voices are heard at the same volume as men’s.
2. #WE urge an education system that creates opportunities for all children and an understanding of why this matters.
3. #WE are pressing for equal pay and an equal opportunity to thrive.
4. #WE are campaigning for equal parenting rights enabling all those who are parents to share opportunity and responsibility in the workplace and at home.
5. #WE seek an end to violence against women.
6. #WE strive for equal treatment of women by and in the media.
The Women’s Equality Party was founded by Sandi Toksvig and Catherine Mayer in March 2015, and launched its policies on 20 October. Read the full policy document here.
Press enquiries to Catherine Riley, Communications and Partnerships Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org/ +447764 752 731)